Wednesday, November 30, 2011

M A I N E - The Pine Tree State


♥ M A I N E ♥ M A I N E ♥ M A I N E ♥ M A I N E ♥ M A I N E ♥ M A I N E ♥  M A I N E ♥



Let me start out by saying I LOVE LOBSTER. Allen and I spent a week vacationing in Maine in 1993. I had lobster everyday, mostly lobster rolls, which is lobster with mayonnaise on a grilled hot dog roll.
Lobster rolls are sold at McDonalds in Maine (it is called McLobster). 

Maine is also known for blueberries, baked beans and whoopie pie. 

The Menu

Lobster Bisque (from Costco, it's fantastic)
Lobster Roll
Maine Baked Beans
Bar Harbor Salad with Blueberry-Maple Dressing
Beatrice's Chocolate Whoopie Pies

I tried to make baked beans from scratch (not open up a can).  You are supposed use a bean pot (?) and check them every hour or so for 6-8 hours.  I found a recipe to do them in a crock pot so I didn't have to take the day off of work to cook a pot of beans.   The beans turned out OK, I left out the salt pork to make them a bit more healthy, unfortunately fat = flavor. 
The lobster rolls didn't turn out as I remembered them.  I bought the lobster already cooked, and I think it lost some of its flavor...fresh = flavor. 

The whoopie pies were delicious and really easy to make.  I will definitely make them again and have already thought of some variations that I am looking forward to trying.

It was a good night, Ted and Louise joined us for dinner.  It was Louise's first time eating lobster.  I am looking forward to returning to Maine someday and having an authentic lobster roll. 

Next week is Maryland, which is definitely going to be crab cakes or Old Bay Crabs.



No comments:

Post a Comment