Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kansas - The Sunflower State

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥





Kansas is famous for beef, corn and sunflowers, so we will be incorporating all three into the meal.  When I think of Kansas I always think of the song "I'm as Corny as Kansas in August" and the Wizard of Oz.

We are having the Pawlings for dinner, they aren't from Kansas, but Gretchen has family from Iowa and Illinois, and we really wanted to have them over for dinner.


The Menu

Chicken Fried Steak
Kansas Corn Scallop
Asparagus with Roasted Almonds and Garlic
Vienna Party Rolls
Kansas Sunflower Cookies and Sunflower Cake
Sun Drop Soda


 









It turns out that Kansas is Conner's favorite state.  He loved the Country Fried Steak (I thought it was too tough).  The Kansas Corn Scallop was delicious, I think I would add jalapenos to spice it up a bit, Conner said if if had bacon in it it would have be perfect.  The asparagus was OK, I don't think I would make it again.  The rolls were really yummy and were definitely a crowd pleaser.   The Sunflower Cookies were great I substituted chocolate chips for coconut.  The Sunflower Cake looked perfect and was a big hit with Owen and Bryce (my two favorite 4 year olds).
It was a fun night with Scott, Gretchen, Owen, Bryce and Emory.  Next week we are finally moving out of the Mid West and headed to Kentucky.  Kentucky should be wonderful, I am thinking of Burgoo or Kentucky Fried Chicken and definitely Derby Pie and Mint Juleps.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment