Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kentucky - The Bluegrass State

K E N T U C K Y  ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y


I have only been to Kentucky once and that was to go to the Breeder's Cup in 1988,  I don't remember the food but I do remember the Mint Juleps. 

I decided to make a traditional Kentucky Derby meal this week.  I made Burgoo, which is Kentucky's version of Brunswick Stew.  Traditionally, Burgoo is made with possum, squirrel or whatever roadkill is around, I decided to use beef, pork and chicken.  The Burgoo was OK, I am not a big fans of stews.  I also had a bucket of KFC, which made Conner and Will really happy.

Ted, Louise, Karen and Soren came for dinner.  They are our NW family and it is always fun having them over, it doesn't matter what we are eating.  Louise brought us Derby hats to wear and dressed up like a jockey (she was adorable). 
The Menu
Bucket of KFC
Benedictine
Kentucky Strawberry Spinach Salad
Kentucky Cornbread
Virgin Mint Juleps and Mint Juleps
Mint Julep Cake
Derby Pie

Benedictine is a cucumber dip served at the Kentucky Derby.  The cornbread was OK, I prefer a sweet cornbread (this one had no sugar in it).  The salad was really good.  Conner actually said he would eat the salad again,  Soren and Ted had Mint Juleps.  I reaffirmed that I hate Bourbon.  The Virgin Mint Juleps didn't taste anything like a Mint Julep but it was good.  The Mint Julep Cake was delicious, it turns out I like Bourbon in cake, just not in a glass.  The Derby Pie was good too.

Kentucky is the Bluegrass State so we listened to bluegrass music.  All in all Kentucky food was good.  The company was fantastic!  One of my favorite things about the meal was that Will did all the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen, so sweet!
  
 


K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y ♥ K E N T U C K Y 

No comments:

Post a Comment