Thursday, January 5, 2012

Michigan - The Wolverine State

♥  M  ♥  I  ♥  C  ♥  H  ♥  I  ♥  G  ♥  A  ♥  N  ♥ ♥♥  M  ♥  I  ♥  C  ♥  H  ♥  I  ♥  G  ♥  A  ♥  N  ♥
 

We took a few weeks off due to the holidays but we are back and in Michigan.  I have never been to Michigan but everyone who I have ever met from Michigan has been really nice.  I definitely want to go there someday.  One of the most famous things to come out of Michigan is cold cereal, by Dr. Kellogg.

After doing some research and talking to people from Michigan the two foods that kept coming up were Pasties and Paczki.  Pasties are meat pies and served by Yoopers (residents of the Upper Peninsula UP).  Paczkis (pronounced Punch-Key) are polish jelly filled donuts traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday.  Michigan is also famous for cherries, beans and Vernor's Ginger Ale (the oldest ginger ale sold in the US).

The Menu
Cornish Finish Michigan Pasties
Traverse City Cherry Salad
Savory Navy Bean Casserole
Polish Paczki
Boston Cooler (a Detroit original: Ginger Ale and Vanilla Ice Cream)

Karen and Soren Pilman came for our Michigan meal.  The Pasties were OK, they were good for meat pie, but they were meat pie.  The salad was great, the bean casserole was good and the Polish Paczki were fantastic.  My kids hate jelly filled donuts and I ran out of time so the doughnuts weren't filled, they were still delicious.  I will definitely make the again.

Next week we are headed to Minnesota, another state that I have never been through.  One of my favorite families (the Billings) are from Minnesota so hopefully they will be our state guests.
  


♥ M ♥ I ♥ C ♥ H ♥ I ♥ G ♥ A ♥ N ♥ ♥♥ M ♥ I ♥ C ♥ H ♥ I ♥ G ♥ A ♥ N ♥






No comments:

Post a Comment