Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Illinois - The Land of Lincoln



We have made it to the Mid West.  I have only been through Chicago once and it was in December.  I loved everything about it and the food.  We were pretty fast to jump on Deep Dish Pizza and Chicago Style Hot Dogs for Illinois.  It was not an easy task to find other food from Illinois.  I did find that Frango Mints have a history in Chicago so we are having Frango Mint Brownies. 

We are having the Pilmans, the Wilsons and the Warrens for dinner tonight.  Soren Pilman is from Illinois and the Warrens have been through the Chicago airport many times.  It is always a fun night with the Pilmans, the Wilsons and the Warrens.

The Menu


It was a great night!  We had 5 different types of deep dish pizza.  I used a Martha Stewart recipe to make them individually in muffin tins.  They were really easy to make and you can make all different kinds.  I made a large spinach and feta and then individual smoked mozzarella and chicken, pesto and sun dried tomato, Italian sausage and a cheese pizza.
 



 

Conner grilled the dogs and then we loaded them up with mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, pickles and celery salt.  You are supposed to use poppy seed rolls but I couldn't find poppy seed hot dog rolls in the NW.  I liked the salad and will definitely do it again.

The brownies were OK, a bit dry (I made them a day early).  We celebrated Soren's birthday, which made the brownies that much sweeter.  Louise brought cookies, which were delicious.  There was also Cracker Jack for dessert, which originated in Chicago.

It was a fantastic night, with wonderful friends.  Indiana is next... I can't wait to see what the menu will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment