Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Idaho - The Gem State

We have made it to Idaho!  Conner is really excited for Idaho because he likes everything on the menu and we are grilling trout.  Conner has joyfully taken over all grilling, if I could only get the others to joyfully take over cleaning and laundry. 

Idaho is famous for potatoes, huckleberries and trout.  I searched all over for huckleberries and was unsuccessful so I am substituting blackberries and blueberries in the buckle and promise to make the Huckleberry Buckle again once it is in season.  I did find huckleberry ice cream and huckleberry soda.

I have decided to introduce the kids to the B-52's and play "Your Own Private Idaho" during dinner, it is the only song I know that has Idaho in it...

The Menu
Potato Rolls
Grilled Idaho Trout
Grilled Asparagus
Twice Baked Potatoes
Huckleberry Buckle with Tillamook Mountain Huckleberry Ice Cream
Flat Head Lake Monster Huckleberry Soda

Idaho = Delicious
It was a easy meal to prepare and the kids liked everything, with one exception. Will still hates asparagus! The trout was fantastic, Conner did a great job of grilling the fish and the asparagus. The kids liked the rolls, I thought they were a bit dry. I will definitely make everything except the rolls again.

 


I used a different Buckle recipe this week than the one I used for Alabama. The Alabama Buckle recipe is still my favorite dessert. The huckleberry soda and ice cream were a BIG hit with the kids. Next week we are moving on to Illinois. Conner wants Chicago Style Pizza and Chicago Dogs.


1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is a great idea! Found your blog via Terry H on FB. :-)
    Especially enjoying your Idaho week as my sister lives there. They go up to the mountains huckleberry hunting- she makes jam and brings some when she visits! Yummy! (great on top of cheesecake!)
    Will be fun to follow along with you on your travels here!
    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete