Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Ohio - The Buckeye State




Sydney made it home from Auburn for 2 weeks over Christmas break so we decided to do as many meals as we could in that time.  We got through all 3 O states and Pennsylvania.

I was born in Dayton, Ohio so I guess I have to call Ohio the state of my birth.  My dad was stationed at Wright Patterson Air Force base for a year, the rest of my siblings were all born in Philly.

It was pretty easy deciding on the main dish for Ohio, it had to be Cincinnati Chili.  Cincinnati Chili is served on top of pasta and then kidney beans, onion and shredded cheese are piled on top of the chili.  Cincinnati Chili is my family's favorite chili, this recipe is a good one.

We had an Ohio Salad which was good.  The dressing was a little spicy so it went well with the chili.

Dessert was fantastic!  Buckeyes are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.  They are now a traditional Christmas cookie in my family.  The candy gets the name Buckeye because they resemble a buckeye nut (Ohio is the Buckeye State).

My sister in law, Beth, sent us Graeter's Ice Cream for Christmas and it just happened to be from Ohio. We sampled 5 different flavors, all of which were delicious!

Tomato juice is the Ohio State drink.  No one likes tomato juice here.  I attempted to make a bloody mary but it turns out a bloody mary made with hot cinnamon flavored vodka is disgusting, trust me on that.

Ohio was a fun night with just the 4 of us.  It had been a while since we had all been together.  Ill make this meal again and again!




       



No comments:

Post a Comment