Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Mexico - The Land of Enchantment





New Mexican food is a mix between Mexican and Pueblo Native American cuisine.  There was a lot to choose from for the menu, I decided to go with a traditional Christmas New Mexican Main dish called Posole Rojo.  The main ingredients in Posole Rojo are pork, hominy and New Mexico chili peppers.  As I was making the Posole I thought it was going to be a failure, in the end it turned out OK.  I have never used hominy before and to be honest canned hominy is really disgusting, but it worked in the stew. 

The salad (Ensalada de Fiesta) was good and the tostatdos (tortilla chips) were really good and the company was great.   My friend Polly came for dinner, she has been to every state in the US (except Alaska) and brought the best part of the meal, a dipping sauce (it's not from New Mexico but it is so delicious).  Sydney's friend Jacqueline and Lauren come for dinner too.
               

Polly and I had Margaritas (with vodka substituted for tequila) and the kids had Jarritos (Mexican soda). For dessert we had Bischochitos, which are like sugar cookies with cinnamon sprinkled on top. The recipe called for anise but we hate licorice so I substituted vanilla. The biscochitos were OK. I would definitively not make them again.

    


We are moving on to New York, the kids have requested New York Style Pizza...


No comments:

Post a Comment